March 26, 2012

Mockingbird Active at Night

Over the past few nights, I've heard a male mockingbird calling for a mate, and let me just say that it's incredibly surreal to hear a bird calling at 2 AM.  I heard him start calling at 9 PM or so on Saturday night and took my phone out to record the calls.

This is what I got after removing background traffic noise and wind with Audacity:

video

I'm impressed with the variety of calls, and it was easy to isolate his call at night because all the other local birds were quiet.  He's so lonely!!!!!

Last year I spotted a Mockingbird fledgling clambering around the arbor:


It's a bad photo, but I'm lucky to have gotten any at all since he was NOT impressed with my snooping.  The parents were also keeping an eye on me.



10 comments:

  1. I can so relate. We had a "midnight caller" that would sing to the outside light from the hours of 12 to 4 in the morning. Hope he finds a mate soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mockingbirds! My dad has one that visits every year during spring for a few weeks...it's always fascinating to hear the variety of calls it performs :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? And each bird has its own style. I also like how fierce they are.

      Delete
  3. I love to hear the Mockingbirds early in the morning. Sometimes I wait for them before I get up. It's one of those special sounds of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it's getting warm when you hear mockingbirds.

      Delete
  4. Love the tweets! I always want to post audio but don't know how. That's how tech savvy I am. I'm going to have to check out Audacity. We have quite a variety of birds that migrate through our neighborhood. For awhile pre-chicken, we were feeding them and we had a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posting the audio was quite the ordeal because I had to turn it into a video to make Blogger happy. Apparently, Blogger doesn't like MP3 files.

      Delete
  5. Great recording, that mockingbird does sound lonely! The fledgling on the arbor is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, an angel gets his wings!