home about me diy tutorials

March 23, 2012

Brilliant Epiphyllum System

I literally just saw this video and was amazed with its brilliance and simplicity.


He uses a cheap wire tomato cage inside a 1 gallon pot with the tines poked through the drainage holes and wrapped back up to secure the cage to the pot, and then he hangs the cage onto chains attached to the ceiling with s-hooks.

That probably didn't make sense so check out the video:




How clever is that?

In other news, I decided to search for "tropical vine exotic flower pink white yellow" on Google Images and discovered that the mystery vine is Afgekia sericea, which is indeed in the pea family (Faboideae / Leguminosae / Papilionaceae) as Randy Emmitt of Randy & Meg's Garden Paradise suspected.  What would I do without you, Google?


6 comments:

  1. I have seen that done locally at greenhouses, maybe they saw the technique before too. But where I saw them it was done with flowering plants. I seem to remember large geraniums and vines.The video explained it nicely, thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be a trade secret! That obviously isn't kept so secretive. Ah well...

      Delete
  2. Glad you figured out the pea plant. This is a pretty neat ideal hanging plants like this. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for epiphillums! I have love/hate with those plants. The blooms are so amazing, but the snails just devour the stems. Thanks for sharing your idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope it works for you. I image this rig would make life difficult for snails.

      Delete

Every time you leave a comment, an angel gets his wings!