home about me diy tutorials

April 26, 2012

Some Plants in the New Side Garden

The plants in the side garden seem to be holding steady and no longer shocking as badly as they were a couple weeks ago, and I'm continuing to add more although space is filling up quickly.  Some aren't visible because they were recently planted (Amaryllis and Oxalis) or planted a bit too late in the season (Daffodils).  Also, I don't have all the names because some are wild transplants from the backyard.


1.  Yucca recurvifolia
2.  'Geranium' Daffodil (Narcissus 'Geranium')
3.  Turk's Cap 'Big Momma' (Malvaviscus drummondii 'Big Momma')
4.  Wild Sunflower
5.  Orange Zest Cestrum (Cestrum aurantiaum 'Orange Zest')
6.  Switchgrass (Panicum virgatum)
7.  'Red Lion' Amaryllis (Hippeastrum 'Red Lion')
8.  'Feelin' Blue' Deodar Cedar (Cedrus deodara 'Feelin' Blue')
9.   Lion's Tail (Leonotis leonurus)

And from a slightly different angle with more plants being shown - the purple bowling ball should be a good visual marker:


1.  Switchgrass (Panicum virgatum)
2.  'Geranium' Daffodil (Narcissus 'Geranium')
3.  'Red Lion' Amaryllis (Hippeastrum 'Red Lion')
4.  'Feelin' Blue' Deodar Cedar (Cedrus deodara 'Feelin' Blue')
5.  Lion's Tail (Leonotis leonurus)
6.  'Red Beauty' Dianthus (Dianthus gratianopolitanus 'Red Beauty')
7.  'Big Sky Sundown' Coneflower (Echinacea 'Big Sky Sundown')
8.  Wild Oxalis
9.  'Petite Pink' Oleander (Nerium oleander 'Petite Pink')
10.  Three Varieties of Daylily (Hemerocallis) including 'Prairie Blue Eyes', 'Challenger', and 1 unknown
11.  Desert Willow (Chilopsis linearis)
12.  'Strawberry Seduction' Yarrow (Achillea millefolium 'Strawberry Seduction')
13.  'Henry Duelberg' Mealy Sage (Salvia farinacea 'Henry Duelberg')

There's more to the side garden than what I'm showing in these two photos...



13 comments:

  1. Lucky you to have a) a side garden and b) a sunny location for a dessert willow...totally jealous!! Seriously, looking forward to seeing how your side garden progresses. I'm especially curious about the orange zest cestrum. I've never heard of it...going to google right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm considering doing some arborsculpture with the desert willow because I think it could take the "abuse" and make some very cool, interesting shapes.

      Delete
  2. OMgosh, I love it! I know there are a lot of people who don't like orange blooms but I love them. They hold up well to our hot, bright sun. Full sun only, huh? Could be a problem in my garden. But you never know. I'm always taking lawn and turning it into beds...maybe some day. It's definitely going on my list of need to have plants. Oh, and the fragrance at night?! Definitely needs to be near the patio if possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! I bought a 2 gallon pot at Bloomer's for $9 if it helps! Pretty darn affordable in my opinion.

      Delete
  3. It'll be fun to watch it grow! Looks like a great start... by no cactus? that surprised me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The section I showed in these two photos are closer to the hose and further from the road, so I placed plants that need slightly more water than cactus. There are cactus in the plot. ;)

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear they are all settling in...this is going to look AMAZING once it fills in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to seeing the outcome. That purple bowling ball is a good idea. Meanwhile, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you for the Daffodils to bloom. Enjoy the weekend ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I got the bowling ball when I really just wanted the bag, so the bowling ball is now a gazing ball substitute.

      Delete
    2. hehe... but very practical buy... something for the lovely garden and for yourself also ;-)

      Delete
  6. I love orange in the garden as well. Do you give transplants anything for transplant shock? Do they really go into shock? I've been revisiting this lately. Just to be on the safe side I give transplants a hit of fish emulsion. Seems to help. That bed is going to look great when it's all filled out. You'll have to post another pic in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only plants that were shocking were the ones I pulled from other areas in my yard such as blackfoot daisy, gopher plant, and the sunflower. Usually it's because the plants don't appreciate being transplanted and/or I didn't get enough roots up from the dig. If a plant's shocking pretty bad, I water it lightly and frequently until it seems to have recovered - most of the time this is only necessary for a week or so.

      And thanks! I hope I didn't fill it in so tight that everything looks like butt. It's a bit of a gamble, but I want it to look pretty NOW!

      Delete

Every time you leave a comment, an angel gets his wings!