home about me diy tutorials

July 29, 2011

Documentaries that Gardeners Might Like

I'm working on a list of documentaries/true story films that relate to gardening at least in some respect.  Topics that might interest gardeners are varied, so I'm trying to cover a number of bases based on things I enjoy and common topics I see on the garden blogs.  Many of these can be watched online or through Netflix, so if you feel like having a lazy day because of summer heat or winter freeze, you can certainly curl up in front of the boob tube and feel like you're doing something.  I've watched many of these, and I don't agree with all the views/information in them and don't expect everyone will.

Food
  • The Future of Food
  • Food Matters
  • Fed Up
  • What's on Your Plate?
  • Deconstructing Supper
  • To Market to Market to Buy a Fat Pig
Environmentalism
  • Dirt! The Movie
  • Tapped
  • Blue Gold: World Water Wars
  • Thirst
  • John James Audubon: Drawn from Nature
  • Climate of Change
  • The Ecological Footprint: Accounting for a Small Planet
  • Flow: For the Love of Water
  • A World without Water
Farming/Ranching
  • The Real Dirt on Farmer John'
  • Temple Grandin
  • The Garden
  • Ingredients
  • Broken Limbs
  • Plants for a Future
Gardening/Horticulture
  • The Botany of Desire
  • A Man Named Pearl
  • The Garden that Changed the World
Parks and Recreation
  • America's National Parks (Ken Burns)
  • Appalachian Impressions
  • Walking the Great Divide



If you've got a documentary/film to add to the list, please share!  I'm always on the hunt for new shows/films to watch.  I'm positive I'm leaving out some stuff I've already watched it, and I know there are more that I haven't seen or heard about.

I'm not including films about cooking and a few other topics because that's getting a bit further from gardening than what I intended.



4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I will definitely check some of these out when I am sorely garden-deprived during the New England winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Under environment: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-world-without-water/, an hour long documentary about countries suffering from the lack of water. I did a post It's a Tiny Planet, http://gardenwalkgardentalk.com/2011/07/09/its-a-tiny-planet/, with the link. It was a hour well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. College Gardener - I hope you get your garden fix with at least a couple of these!

    GWGT - Thank you for that! I added it to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just found this by googling for documentaries about gardening, but if you haven't seen Food Inc, it's really good. Do you have any suggestions that would be good for someone who has more of a brown thumb than a green one? Something a little more instructional :P.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, an angel gets his wings!