To highlight another tip from the Instructable, make custom tree hangers!
Tree branches range all over the place. They can be close to the ground or really, really high in the air which makes premade hangers a bit tricky to use. When I was visiting Zilker Botanical Garden in Austin, I finally looked to see how their staghorn ferns were hanging under a gorgeous oak tree, and wow, their hangers were ingenious. They protected the tree, could be used on low or high branches, allowed for branch growth, and kept the baskets at a waterable height.
- Remove the valve section of a bicycle inner tube.
- Roll a bicycle inner tube back onto itself.
- Cut both ends to a reasonable length removing the middle portion of the tube to allow water to escape.
- Run a length of chain through the tube and attach a carabiner.
- Place the inner tube portion over a branch and clip the carabiner to the hanging portion of the chain.
- Hang a potted plant at the desired height from the ground.
- Cut excess chain.