home about me diy tutorials

November 8, 2010

Zombie Roses and Undead Sphagnum Moss

A couple weeks ago, I got a dozen roses, and dutifully I threw them on the compost pile when they had lost their luster...

Ok, I lie.  I threw them on the compost pile when they were completely crispy and creating a big leaf and petal mess on the dresser.  It, also, coincidentally happened on the same day that I got a fresh bunch of flowers.

Ok, that's a lie as well.  Before I threw them on the compost pile, I noticed that a couple stems had fresh new leaf growth, so I trimmed those two stems, dipped them in some rooting hormone, and put them in a fresh glass of water.


The new leaves are incredibly pale which sorta adds to the zombie factor in my opinion. 


I know they're pale from being inside a dark bedroom, but meh...  that's boring to say.

A couple weeks ago, when I got the roses, I noticed that the sphagnum moss, in which I'd recently potted some nepenthes cuttings, had started to turn green, and today it's even more green.  If it was a corpse, that would make sense, but this was dried and bagged sphagnum!


IT LIVES!!!!  BWAHAHAHHAHA!!

I've heard of such things happening on carnivorous plant forums, and I'm quite excited because it could potentially mean a self-renewing potting mix for my nepenthes.  Of course, it could just mean the chlorophyll is rehydrating, but I think it should have turned green much sooner if that was the case and not continue to get greener and greener, right?

Zombies surround us everywhere.  There's no escaping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every time you leave a comment, an angel gets his wings!