home about me diy tutorials

March 31, 2009

Create an Easter-Themed Tree

Easter is less than 2 weeks away, so it's time to start plotting and planning and potting. To get a great Easter effect in your front yard, hang some Easter-themed pots!

You're going to need:
  • Plant hangers/hooked rods
  • Pots
  • Rocks
  • Soil
  • Flowers with big showy blooms
  • Electric drill, depending on your pot


I have opted for small metal buckets with Peter Rabbit motifs painted on them that I picked up at Target, and I'm also using petunias because of the large bright blooms. I purchased my plant hangers, but you could easily use twine or a bent clothes hanger, particularly the ones with removable cardboard centers so you can bend them into opposing holes at the lip of your pot. If you don't want to buy new pots, you can spray paint some tin cans or wrap a plastic pot in colorful electrical tape.

Here was my process:
  1. Drill a hole in the bucket for drainage.
  2. Add rocks to the bottom to add weight.
  3. Pot up the plant.
  4. Hang your new creation in a tree.
  5. Repeat until you're satisfied.


Cost for one:
  • Petunias: $1.29
  • Small Bucket: $1
  • Metal Hanger: $2.98
Total: $5.27

Normally, I would think that was a lot, but I was going to buy the metal hangers anyway. The buckets can be stacked and stored for the future or repurposed, and I just couldn't resist the petunias - more on that to come. However, if you DIY the pot and the plant hanger, the only cost could potentially be the plants.

The cute thing about this project is that the plants are somewhat hidden just like in an Easter egg hunt, but they're still obvious enough that you can't miss them. Also, it's something kids could do if you're there to handle the drill and putting the hook on a limb.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool, looks like your ready for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea they look great hanging up. Your new header photo is very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you made me think of Easter deco for my house already. Btw, I notice that the colours of the small buckets are same as your header logo :-) Good choice!

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, an angel gets his wings!