home about me diy tutorials

November 1, 2010

Cactus Monday: Impaled Snail

This snail either impaled itself on this cactus or got stuck and died.  Either way, snails are ridiculous for trying to eat on some cacti.

I'm sorry I don't have an ID on this cactus, but the nursery I bought it from should be able to tell me.  I think it's some kind of Echinopsis (aka Trichocereus).  I bought 3 plants at the spring show and sale of the Cactus and Succulent Society of Austin and was told it was the hardiest columnar cactus to grow here.  Who knows though as I've been told lots of stuff when it comes to hardy columnar cactus.  I'm going to give them the best possible chance that I can though.  Fortunately, they're all very small, which means I can toss a pot over them if it drops below 20F or so.

Visit Teri's Painted Daisies for more Cactus Monday posts!

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow, great photo!!! If that snail is dumb enough to that near a cactus, well, he deserves his just reward. Beautiful green on the cactus.

    Happy to see your contribution to Cactus Monday.

    ❤HCM❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny! It reminded me right away of when I was little and living in Turkey, there was always an overabundance of snails and I used to impale them with a stick to try to find their hearts. A little morbid maybe, but I was very young and there were an awful lot of them! Great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor snail!!! Great pic! Happy CM! I missed it due to first day of work today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a nice looking snail... umm, shell. Poor thing - bet it didnt know what pierced him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shell on that poor snail was pretty cool! I have had this happen before. I can't figure it out either. I have also found bees, ladybugs and other beetles. Great cactus. I always get confused on the names of these also!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful picture! Love that snail.

    HCM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Couldn't have happened any better. (sorry - that was very cruel.) One word on the bucket over the cactus - put some straw or soft packing around it first before the bucket. It gives a little more insulation. The bucket alone is still pretty cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A shrike bird probably impaled the snail. They are called butcher birds because they impale their prey on cactus spines, barbed wire, and other sharp objects and store them there, as in a larder.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, an angel gets his wings!