home about me diy tutorials

August 26, 2010

The datura is outta control!

I planted four 4" pots of datura behind my 6'x2'x2' stock tank, and it's completely going bonkers!  I had no idea it would do this, so I'm trying to collect as much seed as possible before cutting it back.  It's blocked the path, but I think it's been attracting the stink bugs away from the tomato plant.  Unfortunately, the blooms seem to attract all of the pollinators which means the tomato blossoms aren't being pollinated!  I love this plant but hate it too.  I'm not sure if I want it back next year, so maybe I'll plant just one and see how it does.

4 comments:

  1. Wow...this Datura is out of control!!! LOL...yeah maybe just one would be better??? iT IS VERY PRETTY THOUGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a large double purple datura growing in my desert garden and we love it! I have seen them grow more than four feet tall.

    If you get a chance, it would be great to see a picture of the flower! Thanks for sharing - [ Jeff ]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi , just stumbled upon your blog. It is geat! a word of caution though about this plant - all parts ( including seeds) of this plant contain dangerous levels of poison and may be fatal if ingested. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium )
    Be very careful if you have children playing around where this plant grows. Store the seeds in a safe place.
    regards,
    Neena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Neena! That's very true, and I didn't include that information because it's plastered just about everywhere when you do a search for datura. I have mine in the front yard where my dogs can't get to it, and I don't have any kids to worry about.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, an angel gets his wings!